Blogs > Kosmo Seer Speculation

High school sports quick hits from Kosmo the all-knowing Oakland Press seer.

Monday, July 2, 2012

All-star location fiasco

Kosmo wants to extend apologies for last week's lack of posts, but summer down time is summer down time in the cave if you know what your seer means. Anyway, Kosmo is back and did pay attention to things that went on last week, particularly the all-star football game on Saturday (by the way, yet another player from the East side dropped out this morning. Just kidding, but why all the players dropping out of the game?) and where it was played. This is not a post bashing the host site, Alma College. It is a post to bash the NCAA. Evidently, there's a rule in place that prevents Division I universities from hosting high school sporting events on their campus. Kosmo doesn't know the technicality of the rule or the exact verbage of it, but he can pretty easily give some verbage about what the rule is: Stupid. Kosmo finds it strange that the NCAA feels that the universities could be gaining an "unfair" recruiting advantage by hosting high school events. The all-star game was originally scheduled for Central Michigan but had to be moved because of the rule. This rule might mean the end of high school basketball games between Rochester Adams and Rochester at Oakland University in the winter as well. That's too bad, given administrators and students at both schools packed OU's gym and made it a neat event. So if that philosophy is true, why let general students visit colleges on campus tours throughout the year? Isn't that an "unfair" advantage? Also, what about the extra "booster" benefits that recruits receive when they commit to a college program? The NCAA will for the most part turn a blind eye to that, but ruin a chance for high school students to get the experience of playing in a college stadium. By the way, the NCAA through this rule is promoting that just about every kid is going to get a college scholarship and we need to regulate. Hmm, that's strange since, what, 5 percent of high school athletes earn scholarships? Now, thanks to this rule, the other 95 percent of high school athletes are denied the chance to have the experience of playing a sporting event on a college campus, something they'd take with them the rest of their life. Again, here's the best way to describe the rule: Stupid.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home